"Short man makes hospital insufferable"
This women, who is blogging for The Southland Times about her travels abroad, has unfortunately had a brief stay in hospital due to illness. During that time she was treated badly by male specialist who was responsible for her care. He was rude and condescending.
I don't doubt her account, but what I do doubt is what she attributes it to. Her are a few choice quotes.
Small man syndrome is a very real thing. If I look back at the one or two men I have encountered in life, who have truly inspired me to go all stereotypically raging ginger, both were afflicted with the curse of the "stuck in the 5'7 to 5'8 1/2-at-a-bloody-push-and-I'm-being-generous" range.Charming.
I mean, it's difficult to blame them.Lovely
You'd be mad, too, wouldn't you, if everything was in woeful proportion?
Heaven knows I, of all people, would be upset if my shoe choices were restricted to speciality sizes only.
I've spent the past week at the mercy of a specialist with small man syndrome.This is what really really gets me annoyed. She falls into the heightist, body shaming trap of assuming that his bad behaviour is because he is short and angry at the world. It never seems to occur to her that it might be because senior and highly qualified doctors are renowned for having massive egos. Or that it might be because he is ratty because he works long hours. Or that maybe, he is just a massive prat.
Again.
Seriously, males that height should not be given positions of power. The only way things could get worse would be if you'd handed him an airport parking warden notepad.
I've had a finger waggled in my face, been yelled at, been talked over, stomped away from and generally left unamused.
No. It has to be because he is a shorter man. We all know of course that taller doctors by contrast are never rude or arrogant and that they bounce around the wards on glittery space hoppers smiling and giving lollipops to babies.
She doesn't stop there however and doles out a fantasy punishment to the man.
The trouble is, when you've got an IV in each arm, you really are at the mercy of whoever is in charge of doling out pain relief.For those not in the know Fentanyl is a pain killer for severe pain. http://www.patient.co.uk/medicine/Fentanyl.htm
I spent the weekend - yes that's right, I was stuck in a hospital during a weekend - having deeply sinister thoughts about withholding fentanyl from the little shrimp.
Dangling it above his head, just . . . out . . . of . . . reach.
So I'm assuming from this that she fantasizes about seeing this man in pain and then denying him his pain relief. By mocking his height.
This, I imagine, is meant to be a humour piece. Ha. Ha. Ha.
What continues to horrify me is not that things like this are written, it's that someone else agrees to publish them. I just don't believe you could get away with writing something that body shames anyone else in this way, without drawing the wrath of the internet down upon you.
No comments:
Post a Comment