It is entitled 'Art Garfunkel: Paul Simon a jerk with short man syndrome'
Here is the key passage
When asked if 5’3” Simon might suffer from a Napoleonic complex, Garfunkel replied: “I think you’re on to something. I would say so, yes.”He then claimed he initiated a friendship with the short man in school because he felt sorry for him, and offered his love as compensation. He added: “that compensation gesture has created a monster.”
I have no idea what actually went down between Art Garfunkel and Paul Simon. I wasn't born and I don't care. I'm assuming the interviewer, Nigel Farndale, wasn't there either - so why does he jump to the conclusion that Paul Simon's decision to stop performing with Art Garfunkel was related to his height and the mythical short man syndrome?
Why not simply ask 'Why do you think Paul Simon stopped performing with you'?
Why phrase the question in such an offensive way? Was it an attempt to be insightful? If so it was a cheap shot.
As for Art Garfunkel's comments, well, I now have my own working theory as to why Paul Simon might not have wanted to be in his company any longer.
No comments:
Post a Comment